UNICEF works with the Government of China and other partners to strengthen social protection for children and to position children at the centre of China's poverty reduction and development strategies.
UNICEF supports the Government of China to improve their investments in social protection programmes and social services that enable all children to develop to their full potential.?
At national level, UNICEF advocates for the government to prioritize children in policy and budget decisions, so that the rights of children are fulfilled, and their futures are guaranteed.?
At local level, UNICEF works with governments to improve their planning practices and monitoring systems.
UNICEF, together with the Government of China and other partners, use findings from joint research projects to make policies and legislation more equitable, sustainable and child-friendly.
More specifically, we are:
- raising awareness and bettering understanding of how many, and in which ways, girls and boys living in different places in China experience poverty and deprivation
- calling for national and subnational poverty reduction and development strategies that account for and address the realities of children's lives
- supporting the development and reform of social protection??systems and policies to address the multiple and overlapping ways children experience poverty
- advocating for expanded, equitable and more efficient investment in inclusive and good quality services for children
- and, supporting national and subnational authorities to prioritize children in the development and implementation of plans and social policies.